The Calla Lilies blooming on my deck inspired me with their white speckled leaves and deep purple, almost black flowers.
Last year I did some watercolours of these Calla Lilies in bloom; it was the first time in about 25 years that I’d worked in watercolour and I had a lot to relearn about the process!The paintings were okay but I fell totally in love with the abstract quality of the photos, especially after they had been run through the photo app Stackables formula ‘Cracked Sepia’. There was often burgundy crayon-like markings on the bottom of the leaves. Initially, during my COVID shelter-in-place (starting March 18th), I was listless and uninspired. Then I finally dislodged myself from my couch and set up a COVID project space for messy watercolour painting – the primary concern being a painter’s tarp under the table that would hopefully protect the oatmeal-coloured carpet. Hopefully I would be able to use watercolours and smaller sizes of paper than I was used to.I tried using wax crayons to capture some of the markings but I wasn’t thrilled with the effect. The painting isn’t anything that would send me off on an inspired painting spree once I get back to my studio. So my first COVID effort needs a lot more work and observation to turn it into something interesting. But at least it was a start! I’ve added two September shots of the lily, when it formed seeds inside the spathe.Photographing it with backlighting turned it a much lighter burgundy colour.