abstract diptych of torn posters stapled onto a telephone pole combined with shaggy tree bark

Using Macros in my Continuing Series of Diptychs

The big thing about macros for me is that when I get in so close whole new worlds appear.

Diptychs of Shaggy Bark & Weathered Posters

abstract texture from staples & torn posters on a telephone pole
Abstract texture from staples & torn posters on a telephone pole

I have been in the process of combining these macros of natural objects with other close-up or macro shots of ‘unnatural’ objects and then printing them. In the process of deciding what to print I’ve noticed that my macro shots are only focussed in the centre region and get quite blurry towards the edges, something I not that pleased with. I’m not entirely sure if it’s my camera’s fault or just the nature of macros in general. Macros have a very small depth of field and in the case of trees and telephone poles the curved nature of original shape causes the focus to fall away at the edges. Shooting at a slight angle also causes the focus to fall away.

In this case my original photo had the nail was in focus but the rest was way too blurry, especially at the top. I went back and photographed it again, trying to shoot the image straight on. I also took another shot from more of a distance hoping to get rid of the blurred edges. It was more successful but still not perfect.

abstract diptych of torn posters stapled onto a telephone pole combined with shaggy tree bark
abstract diptych of torn posters stapled onto a telephone pole combined with the shaggy tree bark of a nearby tree
Another telephone pole in the same alley. In this case the original shots were about as good as I could make them using my little point n’ shoot.

Diptychs of Lichen on Two Very Different Surfaces

Talk about seeing whole worlds when you move up close!

Macro of tree bark with fruiting lichen
Macro of tree bark with fruiting lichen

These trees were quite small and the focus fell away completely at the edges. I’ve tried is editing them using ‘warp’ in Photoshop which does pull out the worst out-of-focus areas.

One of a series of ten small trees with lichen on them
Macro of lichen on a tree using the warp edit to pull out the out of focus parts
Macro of lichen on a tree using the warp edit to pull out the out of focus parts

This is the combo image at the moment. This is another shot where I went back and tried to get a better shot but failed, mainly because the sun was directly behind the tree in question and sent flares of light into the shot. So I’ll have to go on another day. In the meantime I also have several close-up shots of this old building with its north wall covered in lichen and moss that I am hoping to combine with my tree lichens…

More of the Friendly Friday Challenge: Close-ups and Macros.

One thought on “Using Macros in my Continuing Series of Diptychs

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.